Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Ospreys

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

April 19, 2013

Glasgow Warriors 35 - 17 Ospreys

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Friday April 19th 2013 | No comments

Ryan Grant went over for two tries
The Warriors came out on top in this vital RaboDirect12 battle as they secured a play-off spot for the second season in row.

Glasgow secured a try bonus-point but sustained a blow when stand-off Duncan Weir was carried off on a stretcher with what looked like a bad knee injury.

The Warriors ran in first-half tries through prop Ryan Grant (two) and winger Sean Maitland before scrum half Nikola Matawalu grabbed the fourth in the second half and DTH van der Merwe finished off the job with a counter to close the game.

Weir succeeded with two conversions and a penalty plus Peter Horne goaled a penalty.

Glasgow made a bright start fired up by scrum half Matawalu but twice stand-off Weir missed with kickable penalty attempts from the same spot to the left of the posts. In between Dan Biggar slipped his penalty attempt over.

Glasgow's disappointment was compounded after 10 minutes. John Barclay, in perhaps his final home game for Glasgow, appeared to touch down under the posts after good work by Maitland and Alex Dunbar, but the TV official decided the ball was held up.

But from the scrum five pressure Ryan Grant touched down by a post and Weir converted.

Ospreys had to make a change when hooker Richard Hibbard went off with a knee injury to be replaced by Scott Baldwin.

Glasgow's video luck changed after 17 minutes when Maitland's full speed chase to Matawalu's kick was confirmed as he touched down just within the sideline.

Weir failed to convert and after a long spell of Ospreys' phase play that came to nothing he suffered his third penalty miss.

Eight minutes from the break Glasgow scored their third try, an exciting one with the high-speed deft offloading begun by Matawalu finished off by Grant.

This time, from wide, Weir converted and his 40th-minute penalty sent Glasgow in with a deserved 22-3 lead.

Almost from the restart Ospreys' Adam Jones and Glasgow's Grant found themselves in the sin bin.

Replacement prop Cai Griffiths was no sooner on the field for Ospreys than he was plunging over by the posts with Biggar's conversion pulling back the score to 22-10.

In typical live-wire fashion Matawalu grabbed Glasgow's bonus point try after 57 minutes, taking a tap penalty to himself and shooting over from 20 metres before Ospreys awoke.

Weir again missed with his kick and soon a nasty injury saw him leave the pitch.

With Glasgow seeming unfocused when play restarted Ospreys replacement Sam Lewis got over with Biggar converting.

However Glasgow got back on track and finished the game in great style with a final minute try from DTH van der Merwe added to an earlier penalty by Peter Horne.

To wrap up the regular season Glasgow visit Connacht in a fortnight's time while Ospreys are now struggling for a top-four place and face a difficult trip to Leinster.

Referee Alain Rolland (Ireland)
Attendance 6,642
Man of the Match John Barclay
Ryan Grant
Pat MacArthur
Moray Low
Tim Swinson
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
John Barclay
Josh Strauss
Nikola Matawalu
Duncan Weir
Sean Lamont
Graeme Morrison
Alex Dunbar
Sean Maitland
Stuart Hogg
Dougie Hall
Ofa Fainga'anuku
Ed Kalman
Tom Ryder
Ryan Wilson
Henry Pyrgos
Peter Horne
DTH van der Merwe
Match Substitutions
Off On
Robert Harley Ofa Fainga'anuku
Off On
Tim Swinson Tom Ryder
Off On
Pat MacArthur Dougie Hall
Off On
Moray Low Ed Kalman
Off On
Duncan Weir Peter Horne
Off On
Graeme Morrison Henry Pyrgos
Off On
Sean Maitland DTH van der Merwe
Off On
Robert Harley Ryan Wilson
Ryan Grant Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Sean Maitland Try 
Ryan Grant Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty
Nikola Matawalu Try 
Peter Horne Penalty
DTH van der Merwe Try