Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Zebre

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

May 10, 2014

Glasgow Warriors 54 - 0 Zebre

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Saturday May 10th 2014 | No comments

Stuart Hogg opened the scoring inside a minute
Glasgow booked a home PRO12 play-off against Munster after running in eight tries against Zebre at Scotstoun this evening.

Glasgow got off to the perfect start with a try from Stuart Hogg inside 47 seconds. Further tries, from Ryan Grant, Al Kellock and Hogg, saw the bonus point achieved before 20 minutes had passed.

Alex Dunbar and Nikola Matawalu added tries before the break and, with Duncan Weir converting all but one, Glasgow led 40-0 at the turn.

In much different conditions Glasgow scored two second-half tries through Geoff Cross and Matawalu with Weir converting the first and Ruaridh Jackson the second.

Winger Sean Lamont, making his first outing since he was injured in March while playing for Scotland, started the move up the right from where possession was transferred left, with Hogg coming into the line and breaking two weak tackles to touch down.

The next two tries came from similar positions. A penalty was kicked to touch close to the Zebre line producing a Glasgow line-out.

On the first occasion number eight Leone Nakarawa produced one of his basketball passes to find prop Grant, who touched down.

Secondly, captain Kellock seized the throw-in and dropped over the line, with the score awarded after the television official ruled out blocking.

Glasgow's fourth try, and the quickest bonus-point try of the RaboDirect season, arrived in the 19th minute.

Following mesmeric handling, scrum-half Henry Pyrgos found Hogg, who scored.

With stand-off Weir having succeeded with all four conversion attempts, Glasgow led 21-0.

It was one-way traffic and two further tries allowed the home side go in at the break leading 40-0, Weir missing the first conversion.

On 28 minutes Hogg found Alex Dunbar with a long pass on the halfway line and the centre shrugged off two tacklers to run in for the score.

Hogg was deprived of his hat-trick by Matawalu three minutes later. The full-back had put a long hack ahead to the posts but his winger beat him to the touchdown.

Zebre conjured up their one scoring chance in the 31st minute, but TV evidence showed that lock Quintin Geldenhuys had grounded the ball just short.

By the time the second half kicked off the lovely spring evening had turned into a downpour and the nature of the match changed.

Although Glasgow remained parked in the Zebre half, the game's third quarter passed without a score being registered.

Glasgow's next try arrived in the 66th minute. Replacement prop Cross burrowed over for Weir to kick a good conversion.

Then, with four minutes left, Matawalu broke through just outside the Zebre 22 to score under the posts with substitute number 10 Jackson converting.

Referee Alain Rolland (Ireland)
Attendance 5,950
Man of the Match Pat MacArthur
Ryan Grant
Pat MacArthur
Moray Low
Tim Swinson
Alastair Kellock
James Eddie
Chris Fusaro
Leone Nakarawa
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
Nikola Matawalu
Peter Horne
Alex Dunbar
Sean Lamont
Stuart Hogg
Dougie Hall
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Geoff Cross
Robert Harley
Tyrone Holmes
Ruaridh Jackson
Lee Jones
Peter Murchie
Match Substitutions
Off On
Stuart Hogg Peter Murchie
Off On
Chris Fusaro Tyrone Holmes
Off On
Ryan Grant Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Off On
Moray Low Geoff Cross
Off On
Pat MacArthur Dougie Hall
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Lee Jones
Off On
Tim Swinson Robert Harley
Off On
Duncan Weir Ruaridh Jackson
Stuart Hogg Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Ryan Grant Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Alastair Kellock Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Stuart Hogg Try 
Alex Dunbar Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Nikola Matawalu Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Geoff Cross Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Nikola Matawalu Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Conversion