Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

November 27, 2015

Glasgow Warriors 13 - 6 Benetton Treviso

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Friday November 27th 2015 | No comments

Adam Ashe went over for Glasgow's try
Warriors came away with a win at Scotstoun this evening but they were made to struggle by a determined Treviso team.

Leading 6-3 at the half-time interval, Treviso mounted a brief period of superiority, Jason Hayward missing a third kickable penalty which could have left Glasgow with an enormous mountain to climb, until the home side sparked into life in the final 10 minutes.

Adam Ashe rescued his side seven minutes from time, darting under the posts after a rare period of sustained pick-and-go pressure. Duncan Weir, a second-half replacement for Finn Russell, added the conversion and sealed the win with a penalty two minutes later.

With Chris Fusaro and Ryan Grant making their 100th club appearances and Shalva Mamukashvili making his first start, Glasgow went for it from the start but were met by strong Italian defence.

Treviso, to their credit, made their home in Glasgow territory for most of an uneventful opening 40.

Glasgow briefly responded, but there was no rhythm in their attack, and their playmakers did little to get things going as Treviso dictated the pace of the game.

Treviso fly-half Hayward cancelled out an early Finn Russell penalty before nudging his side in front with a second.

The second half was a grind for the Warriors. Treviso again beginning the better of the two before eventually tiring in the final quarter when Ashe pounced to prevent a potential upset.

After the match, Gregor Townsend said: "I'm delighted because we were trailing for a long time.

"Fair play to Treviso, they came with a very specific game plan, looked after the ball very well in the first half, we didn't get to see it that often."

Gregor felt the poor weather conditions hindered Glasgow's capacity to build phases and threaten the Italian line.

"I think the weather conditions and the opposition were the factors in how we maybe didn't play as well as we'd set out to," he said.

"It was a night for ball carries and defending, and players really stepped up there. It wasn't a night for those passes across the field and offloads, but I thought the pack played very well.

"I thought the subs, both backs and forwards, made a big impact. It's quite tough when you come into a game when it's cold and wet but they did very well."

Referee David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Attendance 6,634
Man of the Match Adam Ashe
Gordon Reid
Shalva Mamukashvili
Michael Cusack
Tim Swinson
Jonny Gray
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Adam Ashe
Grayson Hart
Finn Russell
Sean Lamont
Alex Dunbar
Mark Bennett
Taqele Naiyaravoro
Stuart Hogg
James Malcolm
Ryan Grant
Sila Puafisi
Greg Peterson
Josh Strauss
Ali Price
Duncan Weir
Sam Johnson
Match Substitutions
Off On
Gordon Reid Ryan Grant
Off On
Tim Swinson Greg Peterson
Off On
Grayson Hart Ali Price
Off On
Shalva Mamukashvili James Malcolm
Off On
Michael Cusack Sila Puafisi
Off On
Chris Fusaro Josh Strauss
Off On
Finn Russell Duncan Weir
Off On
Alex Dunbar Sam Johnson
Finn Russell Penalty
Adam Ashe Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty